Click images to enlarge

Sunday 11 November 2018

Thorpe-le-Fallows 2018

This is a companion story to the preceding post (see below).

Today is 100 years since the end of the First World War. I decided to go my local war memorial at Thorpe-le-Fallows for the 11 o'clock dedication. I was the only one there. On the ground were wreaths that must have been laid years ago - I felt shame!

Thorpe-le-Fallows

With no wreath to lay, in an act of sentimentality I placed my buttonhole on the gate chain.

Thorpe-le-Fallows

Thorpe-le-Fallows

At five minutes to eleven a lone *RAF Sergeant straddled the fence and walked across the field toward me. I started to well up and could hardly speak. We had a short conversation and at 11 o'clock he recited the dedication from memory.

Thorpe-le-Fallows


Next week I am going to go and tidy up around the memorial...

*The Western Front Association is a national educational charity whose aim is to educate the public about the Great War. Volunteers also help to maintain memorials and send out representatives on occasions such as this. If you would like to help find out more about WFA here.