Click images to enlarge

Friday 6 November 2020

I've sold my camera

Well I've done it again, sold all my cameras.

I usually do this when I get a bit disillusioned with my photography. The last time was in 1990s after I had moved back to Lincoln and work from London was drying up, remember there was no internet back then and photography was a wet process.

Communications from Lincoln to London were tricky. It would take a long day to shoot a story, drive to Nottingham and get it processed, then pre-edit it, package it, get it to the train station and organise a bike to pick it up at the other end to take it to the editorial office.

In an effort to attain more work from London I built a website on this new thing called the 'webbynet'. Trouble was no one in the editorial offices was online yet. However, I now had a lifeline and having built a few websites for other people I landed the job of Website Manager at the University of Lincoln. I sold my cameras and didn't take a serious picture for 15 years.

5 years ago I left the Uni with enough cash to be independent and pursue my own photographic project (details and pics in this blog). I had an exhibition and published a couple of books. All well and good...

I now face another 'photostential' crisis, where do I go from here? Though, this time it's more of a move in a different photographic direction. Photography for me has never been about producing pretty or spectacular pictures. They have their place but for me a picture has to have some meaning or be more informative than “isn't that amazing!”

The way people consume photography these days has also changed. If I send an email out to my mail list, 90% of those who look at my blog or website do it on a mobile device so, what's the point of me shooting a 40MP image if it's going to be viewed at the size of a credit card? These days an iPhone camera is quite capable of producing the quality needed for a sizeable print or projection. An iPhone is also considerably more convenient. If you pull out a big SLR these days it marks you out as a professional and people start to get suspicious, no one bothers if you pull out a phone. Strange how it used to be the other way around.

I have sold my cameras and am awaiting the release of the new iPhone.